Q. As I am short, I am worried about my son's height. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Sirisha
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

Hi doctor,

My son is 9 years 1 month old. His height is 119.5 cm and weight is 25.5 kg. He is a very normal and healthy boy. My height is 5 feet 5 inches and my wife's height is 5 feet. I am worried about his height? Please explain me.



Welcome to

  • Your son's weight is fine and height is on the lower side. The body mass index is fine, but could be better.
  • Both of your parents are on the lower side of the height, so your kid's height also could be less.
  • If he has no health issues at all, then we can wait and watch.
  • I suggest some basic investigations like thyroid tests and x-ray of the hands for bone age estimation, which will deal for a treatable cause.
  • I suggest you to take special precaution in diet to have a balanced and healthy diet.
  • You can address the issues to your doctor and get a basic workup done.

The Probable causes:

Genetic and nutritional.

Investigations to be done:

Thyroid profile and x-ray both wrist joints for bone age estimation.

Probable diagnosis:

Constitutional or genetic short stature.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a paediatrician online.--->

Hi doctor,

Please comment on the following ENMG report of my 13-year-old child. Concentric needle EMG of bilateral biceps and quadriceps, no spontaneous activity with MUPs of 0.5 -1 microvolts (polyphasic 50%), duration of 10-12 milliseconds and early recruitment. Thanks.



Welcome back to

  • The EMG is usually interpreted by a neurologist. The report seems to show some decreased response of the muscles tested.
  • EMG does not tell the cause. It only interprets how the muscle is working.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Hi doctor,I am 28 years old. I have a habit of watching porn. To me, I see it as real. I feel low and regret for my activity.   Read full

How to increase my height?I am 23 years old.

Hi doctor,I am 28 years old. I have a habit of watching porn. To me, I see it as real. I feel low and regret for my activity.   Read full

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.

Hi doctor,I am 28 years old. I have a habit of watching porn. To me, I see it as real. I feel low and regret for my activity.   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.