Q. As I am short, I am worried about my son's height. What to do?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

My son is 9 years 1 month old. His height is 119.5 cm and weight is 25.5 kg. He is a very normal and healthy boy. My height is 5 feet 5 inches and my wife's height is 5 feet. I am worried about his height? Please explain me.

#

• Your son's weight is fine and height is on the lower side. The body mass index is fine, but could be better.
  • Both of your parents are on the lower side of the height, so your kid's height also could be less.
  • If he has no health issues at all, then we can wait and watch.
  • I suggest some basic investigations like thyroid tests and x-ray of the hands for bone age estimation, which will deal for a treatable cause.
  • I suggest you to take special precaution in diet to have a balanced and healthy diet.
  • You can address the issues to your doctor and get a basic workup done.

Genetic and nutritional.

Thyroid profile and x-ray both wrist joints for bone age estimation.

Constitutional or genetic short stature.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Please comment on the following ENMG report of my 13-year-old child. Concentric needle EMG of bilateral biceps and quadriceps, no spontaneous activity with MUPs of 0.5 -1 microvolts (polyphasic 50%), duration of 10-12 milliseconds and early recruitment. Thanks.

#

• The EMG is usually interpreted by a neurologist. The report seems to show some decreased response of the muscles tested.
  • EMG does not tell the cause. It only interprets how the muscle is working.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|