Q. My 15 months old baby is only 5. 5 kg. What to do?

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I would like to discuss regarding the medical issue of daughter with you. She is now 15 months old, but her weight is only 5.5 kg. According to doctors, all reports are clear except her growth hormone. She is not taking any medicine. I have attached her laboratory reports for your reference. Please help us.

#

I have gone through all the medical records of your baby (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• She looks to be a case of short stature and the reports are suggestive of growth hormone deficiency.
  • I would like to know whether there is any family history of short stature on either side of your family.
  • As the baby had normal weight and length at birth there is no possibility of intrauterine growth deficiency.
  • Also, I would like to know about the blood sugar level and ultrasound abdomen report of the baby as growth hormone deficiency is often associated with other hormonal deficiencies and with syndromes such as turner syndrome.
  • In such cases, we do need to do growth hormone stimulation test along with ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) and prolactin levels. Also, MRI brain is advised to look at the anatomy of pituitary gland and hypothalamus.
  • Once we have the reports with us, we can plan about the nature of the treatment. Mostly this baby will need regular growth hormone supplementation and if started early the result will be favorable.
  • In the long run, we need to monitor her growth along with social development and development of genitals and secondary sexual characters.

Genetic cause.

1. MRI brain.
2. Growth hormone stimulation test.
3. Prolactin level.
4. ACTH level.
5. Blood sugar.
6. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

1. Growth hormone deficiency.
2. Hypopituitarism.
3. Turner syndrome.
4. Laron dwarfism.

Growth hormone replacement therapy, which has to be decided after detailed investigation.

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|