Q. My 15 months old baby is only 5. 5 kg. What to do?

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute
Published on Apr 12, 2016

I would like to discuss regarding the medical issue of daughter with you. She is now 15 months old, but her weight is only 5.5 kg. According to doctors, all reports are clear except her growth hormone. She is not taking any medicine. I have attached her laboratory reports for your reference. Please help us.

Dr. Sandeep Rama Thute

Child Health Lactation Counselor Paediatrics
#

I have gone through all the medical records of your baby (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• She looks to be a case of short stature and the reports are suggestive of growth hormone deficiency.
  • I would like to know whether there is any family history of short stature on either side of your family.
  • As the baby had normal weight and length at birth there is no possibility of intrauterine growth deficiency.
  • Also, I would like to know about the blood sugar level and ultrasound abdomen report of the baby as growth hormone deficiency is often associated with other hormonal deficiencies and with syndromes such as turner syndrome.
  • In such cases, we do need to do growth hormone stimulation test along with ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) and prolactin levels. Also, MRI brain is advised to look at the anatomy of pituitary gland and hypothalamus.
  • Once we have the reports with us, we can plan about the nature of the treatment. Mostly this baby will need regular growth hormone supplementation and if started early the result will be favorable.
  • In the long run, we need to monitor her growth along with social development and development of genitals and secondary sexual characters.

Genetic cause.

1. MRI brain.
2. Growth hormone stimulation test.
3. Prolactin level.
4. ACTH level.
5. Blood sugar.
6. Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

1. Growth hormone deficiency.
2. Hypopituitarism.
3. Turner syndrome.
4. Laron dwarfism.

Growth hormone replacement therapy, which has to be decided after detailed investigation.

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Does HGH help you grow taller?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it possible to grow taller with HGH therapy? I am so extremely insecure about my height. I am 5'10" and I realize that is not that short. My past two girlfriends have broken up with me and mentioned my height as a reason. I realize it sounds ridiculous to other people, but I am worried...  Read Full »

My daughter is very thin. Please suggest few weight gaining products?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 21 years old and is very thin. Her weight is only 33 kg and height is 5'4". Since her birth she is of low weight and does not have any medical problems. Kindly advice some treatment plan that would help her to increase her weight. How long will it take for her to gain we...  Read Full »

Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have attached images of the latest x-ray imaging (attachment removed to protect user identity). I have taken this x-ray to determine my bone age, reason is that I had planned on using growth hormone therapy to help me grow taller. I was told that these bone age imaging of the wrist is...  Read Full »