Q. Are there any chances left for me to grow at least 5 feet 10 inches?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2020

I am a 17-year-old boy and I am 5 feet 5 inches. I do not think that I have a growth spurt. After puberty, I started to have pubic hair and it got extended into my thighs. I have a mustache and some hairs on my chin and cheeks. My mother is 4 feet 11 inches and my father is 5 feet 11 inches. I did a bone age test when I was 16 years old and they told me that my bone has a growth of 16 years old. When I did the same test at 14 years old, they told me that the bone age is 13 years old. I was 5 feet 2 inches at that time. My height is around two inches above the base of the penis. I have been growing at the rate of one to inches every year when I was a kid. I was 148 centimeters at 12 years, 151 centimeters at 13 years, 155 centimeters at 15 years, 162 centimeters at 16 years, and 165 centimeters at 17 years. Can I have a chance to grow at least 5 feet 10 inches? I am not taking medicines except vitamin supplements. My hormone levels are normal.

#

I understand your concern. You can still grow up to the age of 20 years. The parameters mentioned by you are quite normal and there are still chances to grow more. I suggest you take a healthy diet and follow a proper routine of playing sports. Sports like badminton, volleyball, and basketball are helpful to increase height.

| 

Sleep - a Miracle to Healthy Life

Article Overview: This article highlights the importance of sleep and the consequences of a sleepless night. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Sleep Medicine Physician

Sleep is a word that is defined differently by different people. When a human is born, the baby is said to be kept sleeping for 12-15 hours, which is essential for his growth. But, as we grow older and older, the sleep pattern changes over time, and we end up getting only 5 to 6 hours of sleep every...  Read Article

Why is my 28 days old daughter crying a lot from morning?

Query: Hello doctor, My 28 days old daughter has been crying a lot since morning. Even when she sleeps, she gets up within half an hour crying. Her body temperature is 98.4 F. She does not have a cough or cold. I have a minor throat infection. Is it possible that she might have caught my throat infection...  Read Full »

What is the reason for pain in legs and hips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having strong aches in my legs and hips for some time now (probably a few years, on and off) not just when exercising but also when standing. Sometimes, this becomes so painful that I cannot stand. The pain feels like a constant ache in the inner of my legs. When this pain...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Endocrinologist Now