Q. I brushed my gums too hard and now it hurts. Please help.

Dr. Asma Parveen
Published on May 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

I was brushing my teeth and went side-tracked and brushed my gums too hard and now my right upper gum by my right canine and first pre-molar hurts. It hurts to eat salty foods and I was eating some chips and that made it hurt too. What could this be? Is it serious?

#

You have actually traumatized your gums while brushing too hard, but do not worry since it is a minor problem. Our gums have a tendency to heal on its own, within a few days without any treatment. For faster results, you can use a mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine gluconate twice a day. This will lead to faster healing. It is nothing serious. Just be a little gentle while brushing from next time.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Will accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mascara contains iron oxide, carbon black along with a base of paraffin or mineral oil. As your child had taken it in his mouth and you already have cleaned it. Now there is nothing to worry, you may ask him to gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash which will improve t...  Read Full

Why do I have gum pain after temporary crown placement?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a little advice since I cannot be seen until tomorrow by my dentist. I recently had a root canal on my bottom left tooth (last one at the back in the photo). A few weeks later, I got a temporary crown placed over it. The area beyond the tooth is inflamed and hurts badly. ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your complaint and the relevant details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause of your pain should be either of the following. When you bite, the upper last molar might hit the lower gums beyond the root canal treated tooth cau...  Read Full