Q. The gums adjacent to my filled teeth appear white and purple. Why?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2019

Yesterday I had a replacement of a filling in my first lower molar. Today I noticed that from the side closer to the cheek my gum between first and second molar turned white and purple. It seems to be dead. My tooth does not hurt. I had an injection with anesthetic, but it was different from the ones I had before. This time the doctor proceeded to his work right after the injection.

It is the first time I notice such worrying changes in my gums. The dead area is spread on the surface of about 12 mm^2, which is quite a lot. I have attached the picture of my gum. Please tell me if I should be worried about that change and what should I do next?

#

Please do not overthink about this. If you have no pain and swelling, you should not be worried about that change. Sometime during the filling procedure, high-speed instrument touches surround gum tissue and make some traumatic ulcers, which gets cured automatically in a few days. Wait for two more days and after then if you have still this problem or any pain or swelling then see your dentist.

Tissue injury during tooth restoration.

Access filling, tissue injury, and ulceration.

Tissue injury.

Application of ulcer gel containing Chlorhexidine.
Take B complex supplement (once in a day).

Make proper oral hygiene.
Do not touch the affected area.
Use antiseptic mouthwash.

Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having lots of problems in my mouth and the VA clinic is struggling to help me. I am a 36 year old male and have no significant health issues besides this. I am really struggling because my lips are constantly raw, peeling, and swollen. They also burn and hurt almost always. I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If I just look at your lips, it looks like severe cheilitis. Considering the history, I would like to rule out oral lichen planus. Amalgam is known to cause lichen planus. Check in your mo...  Read Full

How can I get rid of pain caused by broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acute pain in gum and tooth on the left-hand side and a few days ago the left back corner tooth broke. Kindly suggest me how can I get rid of this pain and strengthen my teeth as it broke without and proper reason. Dentist advised me to take antibiotics for five days but i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case, it seems you have a cavitated carious tooth that needs to be cleaned in order to get tooth filling. Please visit your dentist near you to get rid of this carious tooth. You should not get proper work and treatment unless you visit the dent...  Read Full