Q. The gums adjacent to my filled teeth appear white and purple. Why?

Dr. Gaurav Pandey
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Yesterday I had a replacement of a filling in my first lower molar. Today I noticed that from the side closer to the cheek my gum between first and second molar turned white and purple. It seems to be dead. My tooth does not hurt. I had an injection with anesthetic, but it was different from the ones I had before. This time the doctor proceeded to his work right after the injection.

It is the first time I notice such worrying changes in my gums. The dead area is spread on the surface of about 12 mm^2, which is quite a lot. I have attached the picture of my gum. Please tell me if I should be worried about that change and what should I do next?

#

Please do not overthink about this. If you have no pain and swelling, you should not be worried about that change. Sometime during the filling procedure, high-speed instrument touches surround gum tissue and make some traumatic ulcers, which gets cured automatically in a few days. Wait for two more days and after then if you have still this problem or any pain or swelling then see your dentist.

Tissue injury during tooth restoration.

Access filling, tissue injury, and ulceration.

Tissue injury.

Application of ulcer gel containing Chlorhexidine.
Take B complex supplement (once in a day).

Make proper oral hygiene.
Do not touch the affected area.
Use antiseptic mouthwash.

|