Q. Though I stopped using tobacco, my gum turns black. Why?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

I was chewing tobacco for the past few years. And I stopped it forever. But sometimes I have a little throbbing on my gums. And the color of my gums changed to black. Is this any serious disease?

#

It is good that you stopped chewing tobacco. For how many years you had a habit of tobacco chewing? And what was the frequency? At what site you used to keep the tobacco? Does the change of color of your gums is limited or it is generalized? Do you have any burning sensation over that site? Any loss of taste?

Above all counter questions are necessary to rule out possibilities, so kindly answer so that we can come to the diagnosis and can plan treatment. I would like to see the images of your concern area that is your gums where you are noticing the change.

The duration is four years. But not continuously. And I used to dip the tobacco to the gap between the gums and lips. And the color change happened in the past two years. And I have no burning sensations on that area. I can taste all types of foods.

#

Color change or white patch development is not a good sign.

What all you can do at home are:

1. Strict stoppage of tobacco or alcohol consumption.

2. Eat diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

3. Increased intake of vitamin A supplements.

4. Increased intake of beta carotene supplements.

5. Increase intake of retinoids.

But, as you are stating it is since two years, I advise you to visit your dentist. The dentist will do a clinical checkup. And if it is suspicious then a biopsy will be needed for the lesion.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Can diabetes make my hands itchy and numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and depression from past few years. I took various antidepressants. Now I am taking Vilazodone, one tablet in the morning and Lonazep 0.25 mg from last ten days. But I am having breathlessness and palpitations when I do any small physical activity and irrit...  Read Full »

Periodontitis

Article Overview: It is one of the most common oral conditions that affect the supporting structures of teeth (periodontium) along with gums, including both soft and hard tissues (bone). They can show many symptoms but the common one for which patient seeks professional help is mobile teeth.  Read Article

Periodontitis Overview It is one of the most common oral conditions that affect the supporting structures of teeth (periodontium) along with gums, including both soft and hard tissues (bone). They can show many symptoms but the common one for which patient seeks professional help is mobile teeth. ...  Read Article

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»