Q. How can difficulty in mouth opening be treated in a tobacco chewer?

Dr. Honey Arora

I am suffering from mouth problem. My mouth does not open fully. I used to chew tobacco before. So how can I get rid of the disease?

#

As per your query and presentation of symptoms of reduced mouth opening can be due to most common reason that is oral submucous fibrosis in which there is a formation of thick fibrous bands below the mucosa of cheeks and lips leading to stiffening and difficulty in mouth opening. It is a precancerous condition (although not cancer) and should be taken care of. It is commonly seen in individuals with tobacco and areca nut chewing habit.

You need to consult an oral physician or a dentist and get evaluated and he can advise applying a steroid ointment in combination with Hyaluronidase containing ointment to break fibers. Intralesional injections of Steroid and Hyaluronidase can be advised to be injected after every three to four days. Anti-oxidant like Lycopene is also advised. Physiotherapy, like blowing cheeks, trying to open the mouth under pressure etc., can be demonstrated and advised to be done daily. Complete cessation of the habit of tobacco if you have chewing is a must.

| 

Why am I having gum bleeding when hot or cold water hits my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor,I have bleeding from my gums when the cold, hot and sweet water hit my teeth. Two days before I had pain in my one molar tooth in the right jaw. Kindly give me advice and suggest me medicine for getting rid of pain and bleeding gums.  Read Full »

Please explain the problems we face during wisdom tooth eruption.

Query: Hi doctor, My wisdom tooth present in the lower left region is growing. I have a sufficient space for it to grow, and it is growing straight. I do not have pain in the tooth and half of the tooth is poking out now. But I have trouble in opening my mouth fully.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»