Q. How can difficulty in mouth opening be treated in a tobacco chewer?

Dr. Honey Nandwani

I am suffering from mouth problem. My mouth does not open fully. I used to chew tobacco before. So how can I get rid of the disease?

#

As per your query and presentation of symptoms of reduced mouth opening can be due to most common reason that is oral submucous fibrosis in which there is a formation of thick fibrous bands below the mucosa of cheeks and lips leading to stiffening and difficulty in mouth opening. It is a precancerous condition (although not cancer) and should be taken care of. It is commonly seen in individuals with tobacco and areca nut chewing habit.

You need to consult an oral physician or a dentist and get evaluated and he can advise applying a steroid ointment in combination with Hyaluronidase containing ointment to break fibers. Intralesional injections of Steroid and Hyaluronidase can be advised to be injected after every three to four days. Anti-oxidant like Lycopene is also advised. Physiotherapy, like blowing cheeks, trying to open the mouth under pressure etc., can be demonstrated and advised to be done daily. Complete cessation of the habit of tobacco if you have chewing is a must.

|