Q. Can gynecomastia turn into a tumor in the future?

Dr. Abhishek Vijayakumar

Last reviewed at: Oct 09, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am a 25-year-old male. I am worried about my breast. When I was 10 years old, I found there are some circular discs inside both my breasts. It was untreated then as I am too young. And forgot about it. But in recent time, after 15 years, I am just worried again. The lump are in both breast and when I press over my breast, it feels circular disc-like tissue around the nipple (there is some very enlarged tissue at least 1 cm). There is no general pain but when I press hard on the enlarged tissue I feel some pain. No persistent pain. Neither discharge from nipple nor redness on both breast.

Dr. Abhishek Vijayakumar

Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic
#

You have something called gynecomastia. It is very common among males of your age group. It is the continuation of a normal physiological process. There are four grades based on the size. There is no medication to treat it. Leaving it does not cause any health issues. We need to treat it for cosmetic reasons.

It is a daycare procedure where liposuction is done to shape up the chest and the gland is excised. You can find some pre and post surgery pictures online. The recovery is quick. You will be able to get back to work after two days. You will need to wear a pressure garment for three to four weeks.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

I do not have a very large breast but just a little bit and I have no problem with it. But, is it normal that in gynecomastia the tissue becomes hard and feel solid? Might this turn to tumor or malignancy in the later stage?

Dr. Abhishek Vijayakumar

#

If there is just a hard feeling below the nipple it means it is a grade-1 gynecomastia. The swelling will not turn to tumor or malignant. The people who have more gland and less fat will feel it hard.

Do not worry. There is no medical indication for treatment. The only reason people get a procedure done is as they feel embarrassed wearing T-shirts or going bare-chested.

There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an usual spot to get breast cancer?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It is usually uncommon to have breast cancer in this age group. It looks most likely a benign breast lesion or a localized infection.You have not given many details about this lump such as skin or nipple color change, any nipple discharge, whether you are married/unmarried ...  Read Full

What treatment can be done for mammary duct ectasia with chronic granulomatous mastitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 33 years old female. Before four years, I had a baby girl but she never did breastfeeding on my left breast. Now before one month, I have noticed I have breast lump which is never painful for me. I had reduced my weight to 8 to 10 kg from last 10 months. That is the only symptom th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you can relax well as there is nothing to worry with this report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The breast lump excision biopsy (the removed lump) has no evidence of cancerous tissue. It has evidence of inflammation and infection. Now fe...  Read Full

I am 16 years old. How can I reduce gynecomastia without surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16 year old male with gynecomastia. I weigh 70 kg and I am about 5' 4". How can I reduce gynecomastia without surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gynecomastia during puberty of your age is normal. It will subside in one year's time on its own. Do not worry about it. If you are overweight or obese, then you must lose weight. No medicine is required right now and please do not develop any complex because of it...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now