Q. Please guide me with the reports if I have gynecomastia.

Answered by
Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Dec 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 26 years old. My height is 5'10" and weight is 87 kg. I am having gynecomastia. I have attached the biochemical test results, laboratory reports. Please guide the treatment if I have low testosterone.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Your testosterone levels are normal. But, you need to undergo further tests like serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), serum estradiol and serum prolactin for the evaluation of gynecomastia.
  • Kindly get these tests done and revert back with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your quick reply. Please find the results of tests that you suggested. Thyroid profile normal, serum TSH 3.87 uIU/mL (ref 0.35 - 5.50) estradiol 64.72 pg/mL, prolactin 12.9 ng/mL (ref 2.1 - 17.7), serum total protein 6.3 g/dL (ref 6.4 - 8.3), serum globulin 1.9 g/dL (ref 3.2 - 4.0), vitamin B12 152 pg/mL (ref 211 - 911) deficient, total testosterone 406 ng/dL (ref 241 - 827), serum triglycerides 168 mg/dL (ref 0 - 150), serum cholesterol 198 mg/dL (ref 0 - 200), serum albumin 4.5 m/dL (ref 3.5 - 5.2) and SGOT, SGPT and AKP are normal.

Please let me know if any further tests are necessary. I have also attached my chest images for your kind reference. Also, it would be great if you could answer my following queries. My testosterone levels are on the lower side of the reference and estradiol is also on the higher side. Is it something to be worried? Do I have gynecomastia? If yes, can it be treated through medications or surgery? To my knowledge, as gynecomastia is because of hormonal problems, will it recur even after surgery?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • I went through your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it seems like you do have mild gynecomastia. But, your hormonal levels are normal and nothing needs to be done for the hormones.
  • Your vitamin B12 levels are low, but it will not cause gynecomastia. I would suggest capsule Rejunuron (vitamin supplement) every morning for two months.
  • I would definitely not recommend surgery. In fact, I would not recommend any medications also at this moment.
  • First reduce 3 to 4 kg and see the difference. If you still have gynecomastia, in spite of weight reduction kindly revert back to me.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

Article Overview: Environmental factors, lifestyle preferences, and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity. Read Article

Dr. Omendra Pal Singh
Ayurveda Specialist

A child is considered obese when his/her Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, exceeds 30 Kg/m2. In ayurveda, obesity has been elaborately described by using the term atisthaulya. Childhood obesity ...  Read Article

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...  Read Full

Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause subacute combined degeneration of the cord. So, the treatment is daily Vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex supplementation for 12 weeks. Your vitamin D levels are also low. The treatment is Vitamin D capsules 60000 IU every Sunday for 12 ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.