Q. Is it fine to have hair fall during breastfeeding?

Dr. Sunita Kothari
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I have great hair fall as I am breastfeeding my four months old baby.

# Hi,

Taking insufficient vitamins and minerals can exacerbate hair loss. Eat healthy foods and stay hydrated in addition to your regular calorie intake. You need to take food in extra calories for nursing. You need to take extra calories of around 650 calories to produce sufficient milk. Proteins are the building blocks of hair. Taking enough lean proteins from meat, dairy products, fish, eggs, and nuts can help to make your hair strong. It prevents hair loss. You can also get extra iron from red meat, fish, chicken, lentils, kale, and broccoli. Vitamin C helps the body to absorb iron for producing collagen. It strengthens hair shafts. Eat blueberries, broccoli, oranges, and strawberries to get sufficient vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids. Try to keep sufficient oil in your hair and it keeps your hair hydrated. You can also get omega-3 fatty acids by taking fish such as salmon and trout, avocado, and pumpkin seeds. Lack of zinc and selenium can cause hair loss. Eat fortified whole grains, oysters, beef, and eggs to get enough zinc. It prevents hair loss. Biotin helps to keep your hair strong and flexible. Having reduced levels of biotin creates brittle hair and hair loss. You can get biotin from whole grains, liver, eggs, and yeast.

|