Q. What is the reason for weight loss and hair fall after craniotomy surgery?

Dr. Arun Tungaria

My sister is having a craniotomy operation. MRI before surgery and post-surgery are attached. Biopsy report is also attached. So, kindly help me to understand the biopsy report. Current medications are Encorate Chrono 500 mg twice daily, Thyronorm 50 mg. Current problems are weight loss, severe hair fall, less appetite, weakness, not able to eat or smell non-veg items, no hunger.

#

The biopsy report and MRI findings are suggesting astrocytoma which is kind of cancerous brain tumor. Post operation MRI is showing that the tumor is not fully removed in surgery. That usually happens in these kinds of tumors because it is sometimes not possible to remove the whole tumor. Please consult with a good radiation oncologist to decide radiotherapy if not yet given. Hair loss is because of Encorate. Restoring the symptoms should be taken seriously and a repeat MRI should be considered after consulting with the neurosurgeon.

Hair loss is because of Encorate Chrono 500 mg, so which medicine should be given for seizure (anti-convulsion) which will not have a hair fall and throat burning sensations should also get stopped. What should be the duration of MRI needed to get it done for this kind of tumor? Is there any medicine? Is there other than radiotherapy and chemotherapy which can stop the growth and reduce the size of the tumor? Why the burning sensation is happening in the throat? Twice a day almost especially after taking EncorateChrono 500 mg. What kind of longevity has happened for this kind of patient? Which food needs to be avoided for regrowth of this tumor? Please let me know the do's and do not's to avoid the re-growth.

#

Levetiracetam can be used in place of Encorate but you should consult with the doctor. MRI can be done now. For knowing the exact cause of throat pain, examination of the throat is required. Longevity has been seen for five to ten years. Food is not related to the tumor. Nothing can be done to stop regrowth except for radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

|