iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNeurologysubdural hemorrhageIs it safe to undergo surgery for subdural hemorrhage in a 65-year-old male?

Should one pursue surgery for FIL's subdural hemorrhage?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At September 28, 2020
Reviewed AtJune 6, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My father in law is 65 years old. His weight is 70 kg, and his height is 5 feet 7 inches. He had a headache for the last week and he thought it was due to a bad tooth. On further checkup with the dental doctor, it was suggested to go for a CT scan in the head as during the discussion doctor found that he had slipped on a floor two months back and hit his head at that time. CT scan report came as isodense subdural hemorrhage. I am attaching the report here. We took him to the nearest super specialty hospital. However, I would like to get an opinion on what are the options that will be there without surgery. If surgery is required whether it is critical and what are the best options we could have?

Answered by Dr. Hitesh Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

As per the CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), a subdural hemorrhage has a thickness of 29 mm and a midline shift of 10 mm. Surgery seems to be an appropriate treatment option.

Along with surgery, medications will also be required to reduce intracranial pressure and anti-epileptic drugs to prevent seizures.

The midline shift of 10 mm is a significant one. Criticality can be judged by examining the patients. Even though chronic, it seems that surgery will be a required thing. If not treated, it can affect memory and intellect too.

The surgical option will be possible by burr hole in a skull. Few cases may require craniotomy also. Neurosurgeon will be the right person to decide the surgical part. I suggest you meet a neurosurgeon as soon as possible.

Regarding follow up

Review in case of any doubt or further treatment guidance.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Dr. Hitesh Kumar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy