Q. Even after maintaining oral hygiene, I have halitosis for a long time. What to do?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 13, 2021

I am 32 years old. I suffer from halitosis for a long time. I do not have any other health issues except halitosis. I got antisocial personality disorder after having it. I have also developed some psychological disorders due to halitosis. I do not have any dental problems and I brush my teeth every day. I clean my tongue too every day. Please suggest a solution.

#

You can have an oral cause. The other causes can be indigestion, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), lung abscess, and pharyngeal disease. You need to rule out these conditions by doing investigations.

Please suggest some medicines to be taken to get rid of it.

#

First, you need to do a chest X-ray to rule out an abscess. Next, you need to correct your digestion process. For that, you can take tablet Azithral 500 mg (Azithromycin) once a day for five days. You can also take tablet Pantop 40 mg (Pantoprazole) once a day for ten days on an empty stomach. You can gargle your mouth with Betadine or hot water with saline in the morning and before going to sleep. You can also take vitamin B complex capsule (Multivitamin) for fifteen days. You need to eat curd, probiotic, and high fiber diet. Drink plenty of water. Do not take more sugar.

I have gas problem when I eat anything. I have this problem even when I drink water alone. I have this problem for two days. Please help.

#

For this, you need to reduce the intake of carbohydrates and sugar-related foods. You can take Rifagut 550 mg (Rifaximin) one tablet in the morning and night for fifteen days.

|