Q. What are the causes of bad breath despite clean teeth and gums?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I am a 32-year-old female. I have been suffering from chronic bad breath for a very long time. However, my teeth and gums are fine.

#

There is a misconception that bad breath is due to dental problems, but that is not always true. The patients remain untreated because of so many social and psychological issues.

The bad breath can also be due to,

• Diabetes.
  • Smoking.
  • Lung infection.
  • Chest disease.
  • Kidney disorder.
  • Liver problem.
  • Alcoholism.
  • Constipation
  • A long-term problem in the stomach and intestines.

Can you tell me more about your personal life so that I can diagnose precisely and suggest management?

Thank you for the reply.

I always have constipation issues because of my bad diet. Two years back, I also suffered from gastric problems. But I feel my problem is due to halitosis. Can you please suggest me something?

#

Halitosis is the outcome of systemic diseases. I feel it is due to gastric trouble and constipation in your case. I strongly feel you need to fix your gastric and constipation issues, which will help solve them.

However, your oral photograph will help more. If there is any calculus, I recommend scaling (teeth cleaning). Moreover, if there is any decayed tooth, it can be corrected since decayed teeth can also create a bad odor.

But the concrete cause in your case may be constipation and gastric trouble. So I suggest you consult with a gastro specialist and tell them that dentist has referred me to look out for this problem.

|