Q. I have hypothyroidism after taking medicines for hyperthyroidism. What is going on?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old female. Seven years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I took medicines and my thyroid hormones got normal. After that, I stopped taking medicines. Everything was fine for two to three years. But after some time, I came across symptoms like weight loss, anxiety, and tiredness. So, I got my thyroid checked. To my surprise, I had hypothyroidism this time.

My values are as follows:

1. T3 - 105 ng/dl.
  2. T4 - 7.7 ug/dl.
  3. TSH - 6.51 uIU/ml.

I am taking 32 mg Thyronorm now. My height is 5 feet 2 inches and weight is 44 kg. So, I am underweight but in hypothyroidism, a person gains weight but I am losing it. I also checked my anti-TPO value and its value is more than 1000 IU/mL.

I am really tensed whats going on. My hyperthyroidism has been converted to hypothyroidism with time and I am unable to gain weight instead of diagnosed with hypothyroidism. By observing anti-TPO level, I have Hashimoto diseases. I am really tensed. Please help me out. I want to gain weight and cure this disease.

#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. I would suggest that you have a wait and watch approach. I would recommend that you just keep checking your thyroid function test results every six weeks as of now. Then, once your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) stabilizes, you can check every three months.

Also, your TSH is not so high that you must take any treatment for it. So, my advice would be better to wait and watch. Since this is a phase of thyroid dysfunction, please be patient about your weight. Once your thyroid stabilizes, your weight gain will improve.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|