Q. Had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. How to control my sugar levels now?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I controlled it through diet. I delivered a boy baby. Three days after the delivery, my sugar levels were checked, and they were found to be normal. Yesterday, I checked again and found my fasting blood sugar to be 88 and postprandial blood sugar at 157. Are there still any chances of my blood sugar coming to normal? I had PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and thyroid problems before pregnancy. Am I in the pre-diabetic phase? Currently, I am having mainly rice to help ease the digestion of my baby.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• It can take seven to eight weeks for your sugar levels to become normal. Your fasting sugar is normal, but your postprandial is a little high.
  • Do not take only rice in your diet. Try to take a complete food. This will not affect the baby's digestion.
  • I suggest you continue taking your thyroid medicines as before. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult an obstetrician and a gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have completed eight weeks. I am in the 10th week. Are there any chances of getting my sugar level stabilized?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

#

• Do not worry. Reduce the intake of rice in your diet and start taking dal and wheat too. You can also have a snack. This will reduce your sugar levels.
  • Repeat the test in one month.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Am I in the prediabetic condition? Does the body still need time to stabilize the sugar levels?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

#

• Yes, your body needs more time to reduce your sugar levels. Your sugar levels will improve.
  • As told earlier, rice can be a cause of an increase in the sugar levels. So, change your diet habits.

| 

How much time will my sugars take to normalize?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

#

• Wait for one month.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|