Q. To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Gestational Diabetes or Diabetes During Pregnancy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly.

My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test.

In my pregnancy, I have been craving for a lot of sweet things, so kept having them. Iced tea, cold drinks, juice, ice cream; anything sweet you can think of.

This is the reason that caused such a high levels of sugar in my blood.

To confirm that I have gestation diabetes I am going to repeat my test and I have been following the required diet before the test.

What do you recommend me? Should I repeat the test? Can the numbers be lower next time?

Should I take high carb diet and avoid all the sugary stuff for test? Please suggest. I am extremely worried. Thank you.