Q. Can a HBsAg positive woman get pregnant?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 18, 2020

Can a HBsAg positive person get pregnant and carry a baby? What is your opinion?

#

• Yes, definitely a HBsAg - hepatitis B surface antigen positive patient can get pregnant and have a normal baby.
  • There is around 20% to 30% chance of vertical transmission to the baby. But, under observed pregnancy and immunoglobulin injection within 24 hours of birth along with vaccination to baby can minimize the risk.
  • I have seen many patients pregnant with HBsAg positive and delivered normal baby. So, do not be afraid.
  • If you are not getting pregnant after a long try, then the problem may be elsewhere and not due to HBsAg. For other reasons to be ruled out or for diagnosis of other problem you have to go through the brief investigation and follow up.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|