Q. As I am having a history of miscarriages, will taking hCG injections help me to continue pregnancy?

Published on Jun 26, 2019

My lmp was on five months ago. I was spotting for three days during my lmp and got a positive strip test after seven days. My beta hCG level on the day of a positive result was 126, and after two days, it was 125. I am being told that I will get periods in two weeks but told to continue folic acid and multivitamin and come for ultrasound in three weeks if no periods come. I have a history of miscarriages, and I am 35 years old. Can hCG injections help me or should I consult another doctor? Have I miscarried or there are still chances?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Unfortunately what your doctor has said is right. Spotting in early pregnancy is normal. But a fall or no rise beta HCG is a poor sign. Beta hCG is a hormone produced from fetal tissue. At a level of 25 mIU/mL urine test is positive it doubles in 48 hours. So if the result of 7th is 125, then on 9th it should have been around 250 or more. Only healthy fetal tissue can produce an adequate amount of this hormone, so indirectly we get to know the health of the embryo even without seeing it. So it just means the fetal tissue is not growing. There can be lab errors, so to be on a safer side doctor has asked you to come for scan, to confirm.

If you are worried about the repeated miscarriages, have yourself and your partner checked for any problem. Causes like blood sugar levels, thyroid hormone problems, or prolactin hormone abnormalities, any structural problems in the uterus or any problem in semen. Do not lose hope, if you are getting pregnant without much help, no matter what the outcome is, then you will surely have babies. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions.

| 

Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 a...  Read Full »

Can I travel by air during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had ectopic pregnancy last year and now am 11 weeks pregnant (normal). Can I travel through flight for more than 20 hours? I have thyroid. Right now my thyroid level is bit higher. I am on medication for thyroid.  Read Full »

I am pregnant and peeing blood. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is eight weeks pregnant and she is seeing blood during urination. Her first delivery was C-section. Our regular doctor two days ago suggested injection and medicines. Even after taking that injection and medicine, she is feeling pain in the abdomen occasionally and blood in the ur...  Read Full »