Q. Can I have intercourse after three days of hCG injection?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Apr 07, 2019

I am a patient of PCOD. I had my last periods before nine days. I took tablet Letrozole 2.5 mg from the second day of my periods and continued for five days. My USG findings of today as after ten days is right ovary follicle is 23.4 mm, and ET is 6.7. I will be able to meet my husband only after three days.

My query is when shall I take injection hCG, as I can afford to have intercourse only after three days. My second query is with such a background, is there a possibility of cyst formation?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As the follicular size has already crossed 22 mm, there are high chances that you would ovulate in the next 24 hours naturally. However, by rule hCG dose is offered when the largest follicular size has crossed 20 mm, so you should be taking it today. After the injection, the ovulation is expected in the next 36 hours after the LH (luteinizing hormone) surge.

So we advise intercourse from the very next day of hCG injection daily for the next three days to increase chances of conception. After ovulation, the egg is available for the next 24 hours when fertilization can occur as the egg starts to degenerate post 24 hours of ovulation. It has to be followed daily transvaginal ultrasound to watch for ovulation.

If you ovulate by today night and see a ruptured follicle tomorrow then next 24 hours would be crucial for conception. In your case where sex is planned on three days from now if the follicle does not rupture naturally then you can take an hCG injection in the morning before the day of meeting your husband. And you expect egg after ovulation to be viable till that day and the next day when you can opt for frequent sex to increase chances of conception. All this provided follicle does not rupture until tomorrow evening.

Thanks for your advice.

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »

I have PCOD. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having PCOD. Please advise.  Read Full »

Despite ovulation induction, I did not get pregnant. What to do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. My height is 5'1" and my weight is 61 kg. I am a bit overweight. I have pcod problem. I got married 2 years back and I cannot get pregnant. I had Clomid and hCG injections twice. Both were failed. But, doctor said that my egg growth is good. I have attached my hormon...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now