Q. Can childhood head injuries cause bad coordination later in life?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

For four years I have the really bad coordination. I fumble things a lot. I am very clumsy, weak, tired and I pee all the time. I drag my feet along the ground while walking and my legs do not work when I try to stand, but that is a rare thing for me. I have memory issues, moderate vertigo, blurry and double vision and often trouble using my hands. Severe anxiety and depression, but I do not have any emotions. My mood changes rapidly. Sometimes, while talking I slur my words and I often have jumbled speech. When I was 15, I was kicked and punched in the head while I was sitting down and I was unconscious for about 10 minutes. Also, when I was around 8 to 10 years old, I fell off from the roof and twisted my vertebrae. I have done my brain scan and spine scan. Please help me.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description there are two possibilities which need proper evaluation.

• The first is a punch-drunk syndrome. The disorder is common in those who have repeated trauma to head and present with varying mixtures of symptoms as described in your query.
  • The second possibility is depression along with anxiety. Anxiety itself can present with varying symptoms and generally present in an episodic manner as in your case.
  • For proper diagnosis, there is a definite need for MRI brain (magnetic resonance imaging), which can reveal the true damage across the different areas of the brain.
  • In punch-drunk syndrome, there will be lesions in different areas of the brain and while in anxiety, no specific findings are present.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Can a minor head injury due to fall from a height result in brain tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, My now 18-year-old son fell from a height 14 years ago. He got a minor injury. I consulted a neurologist for a CT scan just for my satisfaction. But, the doctor said no he is absolutely fine. I am still worried whether in future he will suffer from a brain tumor be...  Read Full »

Do you think my head injury is a critical one?

Query: Hi doctor, My head got injured after some part of a concrete ceiling collapse. CT Scan done and I have attached the reports. I was hospitalized three days. An ENT opinion was taken and also, an audiometry was done. It showed a minor injury in the right ear and less audibility. Now, I have some pa...  Read Full »