Q. Could wearing glasses with some change in power cause headache?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I have been wearing the same eyeglasses prescription for a few years now. I recently had another eye exam, and not much has changed. However, every time I put my current glasses on I starts feeling dizzy. My vision does not seem quite right, and it is giving me headaches. They did adjust my glasses as they thought they were off a bit. That has not seemed to help so curiously what your thoughts might be on this.

#

Eye strain after a change of glasses might be due to over or under correction of glasses or improper spectacle frame and centration. So you need to recheck your refraction and lenses whether they are dispensed according to your prescription. If you are having trouble in near-vision or near work, then it might be due to presbyopia.

Presbyopia usually starts at 40, but some people might have problems after 35. Other symptoms like headache, neck tightness, and shoulder pain might be due to other causes like glaucoma. So you need a complete eye exam and intraocular pressure IOP check along with the retinal exam. Your doctor might suggest a few investigations if required. You are most welcome for any queries.

|