Q. I am getting headache due to eye power. How to manage?

Answered by
Dr. David J. Mathew
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

Hi doctor,

Initially, I got headaches before five months. When it happened every day, I got my eyes checked. I found out I had weak eye muscles and was prescribed for glasses with power -0.75 in each eye. The headaches disappeared for two weeks and returned again. When I consulted my eye doctor, he told me to take painkillers thrice a day. I consulted another doctor, but he also told me that I had the same power and my headache could probably be caused by weak eye muscles. The headache still did not go. I went to a new optometrist and got my eyes checked again. This time he prescribed me a power of -0.75 in left eye and -1 on the right with a little bit of cylindrical power. The headaches disappeared for about two weeks. Again, I feel a slight headache for the past three days. I have been working a lot on my laptop and my eyes started watering when I went to watch a 2.5 hour movie at the theatre. What is causing this? Please help me. I am a student and I can barely concentrate on my work with these incessant headaches. 



Welcome to

  • From what you have described, your headaches may be due to refractive error as it is resolving temporarily on wearing glasses.
  • It is important to use glasses with the correct power regularly during waking hours.
  • Since you are a student, I assume that you are reading and using a computer or laptop fairly often. Continuous focusing can cause headaches.
  • So, after every 15 minutes, close your eyes for 10 seconds and roll your eyes under closed eyelids. Alternatively, you can look into the distance to relax your eye muscles.
  • Another important thing is to blink often, voluntarily and especially while reading or using computers. This is to combat dry eye and computer vision syndrome.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am having eye pain and discomfort even after using new glasses. Kindly help.

.. are suggestive of dry eyes (computer vision syndrome). There is no permanent cure for dryness. Power on both your eyes is negligible (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, if there is no headache then you can avoid these ...   Read full

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

.. sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable. To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical e...   Read full

I have myopia. What can I do to reduce power and quit glasses completely?

.. a refractive error. The change in your refractive correction should be checked every six months to note any progression/improvement. Even a fundus examination is necessary. The refractive correction needed can be given either via spectacles or co...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.