Q. I am getting headache due to eye power. How to manage?

Dr. David J Mathew
Published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

Initially, I got headaches before five months. When it happened every day, I got my eyes checked. I found out I had weak eye muscles and was prescribed for glasses with power -0.75 in each eye. The headaches disappeared for two weeks and returned again. When I consulted my eye doctor, he told me to take painkillers thrice a day. I consulted another doctor, but he also told me that I had the same power and my headache could probably be caused by weak eye muscles. The headache still did not go. I went to a new optometrist and got my eyes checked again. This time he prescribed me a power of -0.75 in left eye and -1 on the right with a little bit of cylindrical power. The headaches disappeared for about two weeks. Again, I feel a slight headache for the past three days. I have been working a lot on my laptop and my eyes started watering when I went to watch a 2.5 hour movie at the theatre. What is causing this? Please help me. I am a student and I can barely concentrate on my work with these incessant headaches. 

Dr. David J Mathew

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• From what you have described, your headaches may be due to refractive error as it is resolving temporarily on wearing glasses.
  • It is important to use glasses with the correct power regularly during waking hours.
  • Since you are a student, I assume that you are reading and using a computer or laptop fairly often. Continuous focusing can cause headaches.
  • So, after every 15 minutes, close your eyes for 10 seconds and roll your eyes under closed eyelids. Alternatively, you can look into the distance to relax your eye muscles.
  • Another important thing is to blink often, voluntarily and especially while reading or using computers. This is to combat dry eye and computer vision syndrome.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Guidance for Eye Checkup - How to Check for Perfect Numbers?

Article Overview: Refractive error is a very common problem. Here, I have discussed a few points as guidance for an eye checkup. Read Article

Dr. Snehal Himmatlal Shah
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Refractive error is very common among children and middle-aged patients. In case of eyesight problem, first, consult an eye surgeon. He will check your vision and refractive error with autorefractor. Cycloplegic refraction is a must for the first time refractive error checkup. Refractive Error Chec...  Read Article

How can we treat dry eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have a problem with vehicle sounds. When I hear a loud noise, I feel very stressed. I sit on computers for long hours. I also have dry eyes problem. I went to an ophthalmologist. He gave me eye drops. Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be suffering from computer vision syndrome. In this case, there is a deficiency in tear film due to less frequent blinking and stress of working on a screen. Another possibility is dryness or insufficient tear film production. It is diagnosed with a Schirmer's...  Read Full

I have dry eyes and feel heaviness and pain. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old female going through dry eyes for the past 45 days. I have been to three different doctors but no relief. I feel heaviness in the eyes along with pain and redness. I have been given a gel and a tube (Systane eye drop and Ara gel). Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dry eye syndrome is a condition which can best be managed but cannot be treated, since it is caused by multiple factors like age, environment, etc. The good thing is that it is not dangerous. You are already using Systane (Propylene glycol) and Ara gel (Hydroxypropyl me...  Read Full