Q. Can dry eyes cause sudden vision obstruction?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I feel a strange glitch in my vision. It is quite big and takes up a large portion of my central vision. It is neither a shadow nor a flash, it looks like a greasy fingerprint smudge in my vision which disappears quickly. It happens when I blink, but mostly occurs when my eyes move quickly. I have had it for the past few days and I do not know if it is anything to be concerned about. Please help.

#

As per your description of symptoms it looks to be non-pathological. It can be due to dryness in the eyes. It will occur when a thick eye secretion covers the cornea, once you blink it will get clear. This needs to be treated with artificial tear drops used hourly. 

Other possible causes can be,

• Central serous retinopathy, where the fluid gets collected below the retina and the central vision will get blurred. It will be present all the time and not intermittently.

As these look to be less likely in your case, you answer the following questions to get a clearer picture,

• Have you complained of the same issue before?
  • Do you have any past trauma and treatment history?
  • What is your glass power?
  • Whether you are a diabetic or hypertensive?
  • Do you have any habits of smoking or alcohol?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Now my mind is at ease. The intermittent nature of it and rarity suggest that it might be due to dryness but I am not sure. As you said, I will try the artificial tear drops and see if it clears up. Can you prescribe me any artificial tear drop? Is there any other measures to do along with it?

#

• You can try artificial tear drops with HPMC (Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose) content, preservative free and use it hourly once for few days. Few brands are Optive (combination of Carmellose sodium and Glycerol), Systane Ultra, GenTeal are available in the market.
  • You can also use sunglasses if you are working outdoor or if you have sensitive eyes.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|