Q. What is the reason for my headache during periods?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I am a 36 year old female with no kids. I have a history of migraines. I have been experiencing more severe headaches that are lasting more around my period. I am also having cramps, which I have not had since I was a teen, along with being moody and always tired. I had laboratory tests and my estrogen was 567 pg/mL, HbA1c was 5.7 and vitamin D 34. I also get hot at night while sleeping more often. I am otherwise healthy and work out three times a week. Please help.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Have you tried to have children? The reason I ask is if you have tried and could not, then it would provide an insight into your problem.
  • The migraines and cramps can be related to each other (endometriosis) or independent.
  • I know how distressing a bad headache can get. I suggest Flunarizine 10 mg at bedtime every day for three months. This will relieve you of your headaches.
  • Regarding the increased pain during periods, I would suggest you get an ultrasound done to determine whether there is a fibroid or cysts or a polyp which may be causing the pain.
  • On the second day of your period, I would like you to do the following blood tests to get an idea whether your hormones are in order and to determine the reason for the hot flushes. They are FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), prolactin, AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). Please do these fasting.

Revert back with the test reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|