Hearing Aid

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep V R

Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Alread...  Read Full »

Can noise exposure at a young age lead to delayed onset NIHL later in life?

Query: Hi doctor, I want you to review a portion of a medical report and put it in layman's term. I am specifically hoping that this report confirms my suspicion that the effects of noise exposure at younger ages can lead to delayed onset of noise-induced hearing loss later in life. The document contains ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I can. Please attach the report here. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurveda treatment for hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old man having diagnosed with a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. I have been experiencing this for the last two months. Please suggest any ayurveda treatment for the same?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As it is a physiological degradation disease, the treatment falls into two categories pharmacological and surgical treatment. However, no recommended or approved treatment has been present, and many types of research are still going on. Hearing aids are the most common...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned. In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatm...  Read Full »

Is there any treatment for sinusoidal deafness?

Query: Hello doctor, I have sinusoidal deafness for the past 22 years which is hereditary in my family. I wear hearing aids in both ears, but still, struggle in hearing. I was told to upgrade to higher end 32-channel hearing aid, which costs a bomb. From the past 20 years, my hearing problem has worsened....  Read Full »

Dr. Dev Roy

ENT Otolaryngologist, Plastic Surgeon, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a bilateral sensorineural loss which is progressive. There is no medicine which can prevent further loss. You have to get serial audiograms every six months to see the progression of the hearing loss. Current treatment is to wear a good quality digital hea...  Read Full »

From the past 1 year, I noticed hearing loss

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 43 year old male. I am suffering from hearing loss for the past one year. It is severe in the right ear and average in the left. I am facing many problems in office due to this. I visited a doctor and he diagnosed it as otosclerosis after some audio test. My elder sister has such...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Otosclerosis is a disease in which the tiny bone of the middle ear gets fixed resulting in hearing loss. Unfortunately, there is no medicine to cure otosclerosis. There are two options for you. Surgical treatment entails removal of the stapes with prosthesis replaceme...  Read Full »

What can be done for age-related hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,My 68 year old mother has a hearing problem. I understand it is due to her age but is there any device which can enhance the hearing in her case?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are various causes for hearing problems. Among them, the most common one is an age-related hearing loss known as presbycusis. If hearing loss is significant and confirmed by an audiological examination such as pure tone audiogram, she can use hearing aids. Hear...  Read Full »

Which is better for a 15 months old baby, simultaneous or sequential cochlear implant?

Query: Hello doctor, My niece is 15 months old, and we found that she was not reacting to sound. So, we consulted a doctor, who confirmed in the report that she has profound hearing loss in both ears. The doctor suggested cochlear implant, and we decided that we will go for the cochlear implant. But, the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bilateral cochlear implant at the age of 15 months is not at all a good idea.  The kid is too small, and size of the internal ear, including cochlea, will increase as the kid grows. So, go for unilateral first. Yes, the scar will be there, but you can opt for aestheti...  Read Full »

Please help with my father's hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the cause for the hearing loss confirmed? Have other causes been ruled out? How many doses of aminoglycosides have been taken? What is the severity of hearing loss? Does your father have any tinnitus or reeling sensation? What is the report of audiometry? Is your f...  Read Full »