Q. What is the major consequence that a child will face with hearing loss?

Dr. Alok Rathi

I would like to know, what is your role in working with children with hearing loss, or more specifically, what are the duties that involve the children with hearing loss? When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three consequences or effects of the hearing loss that you think have the biggest impact on the child’s life?

Do you think that children with hearing loss are being adequately served in the area where you work? What kinds of things would you like to see happen differently for children with hearing loss where you work? If you are familiar with the speech and language services that children with hearing loss receive in your school or community, do you think that these services are meeting the needs of the students? What do you think about this?

If you are aware of the hearing-related services that children with hearing loss are receiving in the schools or community where you are, do you think that these services are meeting the needs of the students? What do you think about this? Do you have anything that you would like to see done differently by people who work with kids with hearing loss? (e.g. programs, funding, devices, etc.).

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The primary role in working with children with hearing loss is an early diagnosis of the disease and etiology. Once the diagnosis is made, our duty is to treat the reversible cause of hearing loss (this is more common than irreversible or genetic causes). Our goal is, prevent the probable, diagnose the inaudible, treat the curable, rehabilitate the disabled. Hearing is one of the most important sense organ, mutually connected with vision, for speech and language development which is a must for communication. Most important consequences of hearing loss are speech and language development, and overall psycho-social development (this is dependent on communication).

Children with hearing loss have special importance, as they have to be diagnosed early to prevent the delay in speech and language development. The best means to achieve this can only be Universal neonatal hearing screening. This scheme is not followed in our place due to various reasons like a) social factors requiring community and individual participation, b) economic resources, c) Government policy support. I would like to have a universal hearing screening program, because, only if we can diagnose early, we can do something. So the first step is early and all the cases to be diagnosed.

Hearing and Speech and language services for hearing impaired are meeting the needs of students who are receiving treatment facilities at tier1 and few tier2 cities. But at the rest of the places, these services are not adequate. The reason is again a) lack of awareness of available facilities, b) constant changing of technology and products, c) low literacy also prevents parents from utilizing these resources d) lack of funding and support from dedicated organizations, e) human resource and f) society participation.

Few important needs are:

a) Universal neonatal hearing screening.

b) Social awareness of the impact of hearing loss and treatable diseases.

c) Funding for hearing impaired children, with the provision of financial support for special schools.

d) Need of low cost and effective rehabilitation devices that should have stable technology, easy to boot, does not have much maintenance cost.

e) Increase in more and more audiologists are needed, especially to serve the needs.

|