Q. I lost my hearing capacity due to meningitis. Should I consult a rheumatologist?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

I had meningitis fever when I was 7 years old because of which my hearing capacity was lost. I use hearing aids and I can hear from hearing aid, but it is hard to listen. One of the doctors said that I have bones issues, and I need to consult with a rheumatologist. But it is hard for me to understand.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

The main problem with meningitis is that it is an infection which causes irreversible damage. As far as knowledge goes, there are not many cases who benefitted with the hearing. The cochlea is the hearing organ of the human body. It has three partitions filled with fluid. When hearing loss is caused by meningitis, the cochlea begins to ossify (the canals in cochlea start turning into bone). Thus the sound vibrations are not able to reach the auditory nerve. Usually, the loss is permanent.

If you already wear hearing aids and now having a problem with understanding the speech, you need to see an audiologist and recheck your hearing as it might have progressed. If the loss has increased, please reprogram your hearing aids. If it has not changed, then you need to practice communication perception techniques. A speech therapist can help you with the techniques to improve communication. There are few techniques for better communication, but as you have not mentioned, I am not familiar with what method you use. I feel you should have discussed the problem in detail so that I could have helped you more with techniques. Do not hesitate to contact me.

I wear hearing aids, and I understand I have a speech problem. But another thing is when I fix my ears from ears wax remover pins then hearing increases a little bit. I can listen when someone speaks loudly. I also have a joint problem, and so I cannot sit on the ground because it causes too much pain. I use chairs to sit, but I can walk perfectly. One of the doctors told me that I need to consult with a rheumatologist because joints are connected with ears, is it true?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

First of all, I will warn you not to use pins to clean your ears at all. If the pin damages your membrane, the ear might get infected, and the hearing loss may increase. It seems that you have wax in your ears. Please consult an ENT or audiologist to clean your ears. Yes, he can clear your joint pains. However, there are no proven cases which have been treated for meningitis by consulting a rheumatologist.

What are the further needed tests? Can it be due to autoimmunity because I have joint pains as well?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

You should visit audiologist once a year for a checkup. At the age of 7 it is difficult to know that you have an autoimmune disorder. It is a viral infection, so there are low chances of autoimmune at the young age.

Will typhoid cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to audiometry (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she is having a nerve loss. Acute, sudden hearing loss is possible after typhoid or any other viral fever. Mostly, it is not 100% recoverable. If she is absolutely fine, then I suggest her tablet N...  Read Full

How to treat headaches caused by tuberculous meningitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was suffering from fever and right sided headaches, which felt like an electric shock. So, we consulted a doctor, and after several tests, the doctor diagnosed it as tubercular meningitis. All the test including CT scan were normal. So, he prescribed Forcox, Benadon, and Uri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know few more details. Since when is he on tuberculosis medicines? Since when is he having fever and headaches? How long does one episode of the headache last? Does he have any nausea or vomiting during the headache? Does this headache increase on lyin...  Read Full

What could cause hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full

Ask an Audiologist Now