Q. My friend's son has been diagnosed with hypochondroplasia. Kindly suggest the best treatment.

Answered by
Dr. Sirisha
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Feb 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2018

Hello doctor,

My friend's son has been diagnosed with hypochondroplasia. He is 11 months old. His height is 50 cm and weight is approximately 5 kg. Kindly suggest the best treatment.

Dr. Sirisha



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Hypochondroplasia is a rare and genetically inherited condition. It involves the skeletal system, and the child's height and weight are definitely low. And birth history (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also suggests some abnormality. What about the parents status, is anyone affected or are they normal? Very rare tests have been performed, and he has been examined at reputed institutes and already seen by a genetic specialist. The child needs a multispeciality/multidisciplinary approach:

  1. He might not reach normal height. There is no specific treatment for that. Growth hormone which we use in other conditions would not help him. There are some limb lengthening surgeries done later in life. These are complex surgeries which involve orthopedics and should be done in multispeciality setups. Some other movement restrictions can occur at elbows/knees, and these can be managed by orthopedicians and helped by physiotherapists.
  2. Enlarged head due to more fluid in the brain. This rarely requires surgery and can be done by a neurosurgeon. MRI brain does not show any such features now. If any symptoms appear, then probably he will need a repeat MRI.
  3. Fits occur in few children. This can be treated at any children's center and can be seen by a pediatrician or a neurologist.
  4. With respect to the development, special teaching/training programs might be required. Psychological support is needed as the child grows up, which can be rendered by a child psychologist/psychiatrist.
  5. Hearing problems are frequent and hence get regular check-ups done by an ent specialist/pediatrician who will guide you.

Unfortunately, there are no medications to cure this disease. Genetic disorders can affect many body systems. The best we can do is treat the symptoms that are caused. There are more severe forms of the disease which can be life-threatening. Hypochondroplasia is only a milder form.

Hope this information is helpful.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest some height gaining tips.

Query: How to increase my height? I am 23 years old.  Read Full »

Is surgery possible for cryptorchidism in a 25-year-old male?

Query: Hi doctor,My husband and I have been trying to have kids. He has cryptorchidism. He did some test already they said the undescended testes is better than the descended on and it has a good blood supply. Is the surgery still possible? He is 25 years old now. What are our chances of having a baby afte...  Read Full »

Cancer in Pregnancy: a Multifaceted dilemma

Article Overview: The incidence of cancer being diagnosed during pregnancy has increased because of delayed child-bearing age, advanced imaging techniques during antenatal care, and the known occurrence of age-dependent malignancies. Read Article

Dr. Sujata Mittal
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Cancer, as of now, is considered to be a disease of lifestyle and majority of cancers occur in middle and late age. With the postponement of marriage and childbearing to late thirties, it is not surprising, that number of women diagnosed with pregnancy and concomitant cancer is increasing. Further, ...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.