Q. Will typhoid cause hearing loss?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• According to audiometry (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she is having a nerve loss.
  • Acute, sudden hearing loss is possible after typhoid or any other viral fever. Mostly, it is not 100% recoverable.
  • If she is absolutely fine, then I suggest her tablet Neurobion forte once daily for 40 days.
  • Ask her to avoid mobile usage and get audiometry done after 40 days. There is a hope.
  • Secondly, if she has no other illness, then I suggest steroid and that will help a lot. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|