Q. My father is having severe hearing loss. Please suggest a good quality hearing aid and medication.

Sir, the patient is my father of age 88 years old. His height is 5.2m and weight around 62 kg. He is having hearing problem quite severely. He was using hearing aid machines but none of them have been working satisfactorily and gets damaged frequently. Require your help for a good quality hearing aid machine alongwith medication if any. Audiogram test was done and the reports attached.

#

Hello, The pure tone audiogram uploaded by you shows clearly that he has nerve related deafness in both ears and it is indeed due to his age. You seem to have taken a poor quality hearing. Please go for a better quality hearing aid. It will be costlier. Go for a bilateral hearing aid rather than for a single ear. You need to get a fresh audiogram. I can furnish the details of a good centre if you like. Additionally, you need to follow up with the audiologist every 3-4 months for tuning of the hearing aid. Hearing needs to be tuned repeatedly as per the changes in your father's ears. Otherwise he will not find it useful. Your father will find hearing aids of better quality much better to tolerate as they have better features.

Sir please furnish me the details of a good centre. The nearest big town for him will be Siliguri, West Bengal. If it can be done online then kindly suggest. Also kindly suggest me a good quality hearing aid.
Thanks and Regards
# There is nothing like a good quality hearing aid. Don't go for a cheap one, spend about 35-40 thousands for each ear. You need an aid for both the ears. I have heard good reviews about desun and Medica north bengal hospitals. Check the ENT departments in these hospitals.

| 

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Cochlear Implants - Uses and Innovations

Article Overview: Cochlear implants are devices which are implanted to aid in hearing for people with very severe hearing loss and who are not benefitted from hearing aids. Here, we discuss various conditions where cochlear implants are used. We also discuss all the advantages and innovations of cochlear implants. Read Article

Dr. Bindia

Hearing loss can occur in both children and adults. It can be categorized into mild, moderate, moderately severe, severe and profound hearing loss. Profound hearing loss refers to a condition when a person cannot hear sounds softer than 90 dB. Causes of Hearing Loss There are various causes of hea...  Read Article

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»