Q. Taking Pantoprazole for high cholesterol. Can forearm tingling be signs of heart attack?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Jun 12, 2018

My husband has had high cholesterol for some time in the past week. He has mentioned that his forearms feel like they tingle after which clammy hands follow. It happens suddenly and stays for a while then goes away. It is not constant. He does seem to have had intestinal blockage however it has been regular this past week. He has been to a doctor who tested his cholesterol there and it read 6.5. Should we be concerned? He is currently on Topzole. With some reading online, we are concerned that there are signs of a heart attack? Please help.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Your husband's tingling is most likely due to the long time effect of Topzole (Pantoprazole) which causes hypomagnesemia which is reduced magnesium in the blood which in turn causes tingling and also increases the chance of a heart attack.

There is nothing to worry from your complaints as there are no signs to indicate any possibilities of a heart attack.

Chest pain migrating to back, neck, or jaw with shortness of breath and cold sweat are the most common signs of a heart attack.

I suggest you do a random blood sugar test to rule out diabetes.

A lower dose of Topzole (Pantoprazole) is suggested.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I did not know that Topzole can cause this. Will surely look into this.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

You are most welcome. Stay healthy.

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

Reports suggest high cholesterol levels. What medicines do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom is 66 years old. She is living a healthy life. She has no health complications as such but she complains that she is exhausted after doing very little work. So, just as a measure, we got her blood test done. The reports (lipid profile) suggests that there is some issue with chole...  Read Full »

Is heart attack genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?  Read Full »