Q. Reports suggest high cholesterol levels. What medicines do you suggest?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cholesterol or Atorvastatin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My mom is 66 years old. She is living a healthy life. She has no health complications as such but she complains that she is exhausted after doing very little work. So, just as a measure, we got her blood test done. The reports (lipid profile) suggests that there is some issue with cholesterol levels. I have attached two reports, one which is latest and another one two years old. Can you please have a look and examine the situation? Here the pathologist suggested to start immediately taking the below medicines:

Ecosprin 150 (one tablet daily in the afternoon).

Avas 10 mg (one tablet daily at night).

Another tablet called Atorvastatin 20 mg (is it better than above medicines?).

Along with brisk walking for one hour every day, consuming flax seeds and avoid intake of desi ghee.

I have few questions for you please:

• What do you suggest after examining the reports?
  • What medicines and other things you suggest for her?
  • Will that medicines be for a lifetime or for a limited time?
  • What precautions my mom should take?
  • What lifestyle my mom should follow now?
  • What foods should she favor?
  • What is the role of the medicines which he suggested?
  • Any other suggestions which will help her to get back to normal/healthy reports?

Looking forward to your help.