Q. Reports suggest high cholesterol levels. What medicines do you suggest?

Published on Jan 11, 2018

My mom is 66 years old. She is living a healthy life. She has no health complications as such but she complains that she is exhausted after doing very little work. So, just as a measure, we got her blood test done. The reports (lipid profile) suggests that there is some issue with cholesterol levels. I have attached two reports, one which is latest and another one two years old. Can you please have a look and examine the situation? Here the pathologist suggested to start immediately taking the below medicines:

Ecosprin 150 (one tablet daily in the afternoon).

Avas 10 mg (one tablet daily at night).

Another tablet called Atorvastatin 20 mg (is it better than above medicines?).

Along with brisk walking for one hour every day, consuming flax seeds and avoid intake of desi ghee.

I have few questions for you please:

• What do you suggest after examining the reports?
  • What medicines and other things you suggest for her?
  • Will that medicines be for a lifetime or for a limited time?
  • What precautions my mom should take?
  • What lifestyle my mom should follow now?
  • What foods should she favor?
  • What is the role of the medicines which he suggested?
  • Any other suggestions which will help her to get back to normal/healthy reports?

Looking forward to your help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have evaluated your mother's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Her cholesterol is high and at this age, she should be started on medicines. Her thyroid levels were high in the previous reports. I want to know the current status.

Following are your answers:

1. She should be started on medicines with lifestyle changes.
  2. A combination of Atorvastatin and Fenofibrate should be started.
  3. It depends. If she exercises, reduces weight, eats right, medicines will not be required for a lifetime.
  4. Avoid fatty food, rice, oil, sweets.
  5. More exercises. Eat more fruits and green leafy vegetables.
  6. The medicines reduce the cholesterol. You have to work out to stop further production.
  7. Exercise and right diet is the key.

I hope it helps. Good luck.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate the help. As advised, she started with daily brisk walking for 30 minutes and stopped consuming desi ghee in her food. Her BP is 145/85 and heart rate is 90 to 95. We are going to start with medicines as well this week after your confirmation. Please can you help answer the following queries from my mom:

• Which medicines should she start consuming? A combination of Ecosprin 150 and Avas 10 mg or just Atorvastatin 20 mg?
  • Any multivitamins and Vitamin D capsules you suggest for her daily?
  • Omega-3 capsules, do they help? Should she take those as well?
  • Are the medications for a lifetime or just for few years till reports are fine?
  • Do you suggest to take any ECG or angiography?
  • What is the role of these three medicines: Atorvastatin, Fenofibrate, Ecosprin and Avas 10 mg?

Latest thyroid reports are attached. Does she have any problems with these reports? Does she need to start having thyroid medications as well?At what time of the day should she take the recommended medications? Any precautions to take before or after taking medicines?

#

To answer your queries better, I need the following details:

1. Does she have any chest pain?
  2. Did your doctor tell you why he has prescribed her Ecospirin?
  3. Is she obese?
  4. Has she already started the medicines or are you just collecting opinions right now?
  5. Has your doctor performed an ECG? I need to understand why Ecospirin was started.
  6. Was there any problem in the ECG?

Revert with the asked details for a better help.

Revert with more information to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

No chest pain. The guy who delivered the blood reports suggested that medicine for her high level of cholesterol. Yes (her weight and height is posted in my first query). No medicines yet, as I am unsure which one to give. No ECG yet. Again that medicine was suggested by the guy who delivered the reports in the laboratory. Let me know if you have any more questions which can help in answering my questions. Thanks.

#

Do you mean to say that you are starting medicines for your mother based on the recommendations of a delivery boy! Do you have any idea about the education level of these delivery boys? They give you free advise based on their experience like a neighbor does. That is why I was doubting that how can a doctor start Ecospirin without getting an ECG done.

Now, before starting any medicines, first of all, I need to see your mother's ECG. Get her ECG done and write back to me with the report.

Kindly consult a doctor before taking any medicines, especially related to such sensitive issues.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Yes, that is why I never started the medicine without any confirmation from a good doctor. The problem is my mother is an old lady. She is adamant to go to a doctor for any sort of tests. Therefore, I am trying to consult someone online. She says she is not having any other physical problems. Her ECG which was done some time back was normal. She is always saying that she is fine.That is why I am trying to find help online. I will start medicines on your recommendation. Please help.

#

I am relieved to know that you have not started any medicines yet.

My recommendation would be to convince her for a routine visit to a physician near you. He would re-check her vitals including pulse and blood pressure and will perform an ECG too.

In general, my suggestion would be to start her on Atorvastatin 10 mg. This drug helps in reducing the cholesterol and also helps in keeping the blood vessels clean. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. If she takes a normal diet, I would not recommend any multivitamin. Now, as far as the thyroid is concerned, in the attached reports, her thyroid two years ago was high. That demands medicine. But I cannot find any thyroid report in the fresh reports. The folder contains a fresh report of lipid profile only. I would recommend a repeat thyroid profile for this purpose. I hope it helps you.

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal. Right now you do not seem to have heart condition and your slightly raised blood pressure is...  Read Full

My husband had Losar Beta H twice by mistake. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband used to have Losar Beta H for his BP in the morning and Storvas 10 mg at night. But, mistakenly, he had Losar Beta H again at night. Will it cause any side effect? Should he have Storvas now?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. He can have Storvas (Atorvastatin) now. But, he should not repeat this mistake again. Ask him to take Losar Beta H (combination of Losartan, Atenolol and Hydrochlorothiazide) at a specific time in a day keeping it in a separate pill box. Just a single extra ...  Read Full

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full