Recently, my father had second heart attack and a stent is placed. Please suggest your opinion.

Q. Kindly give a second opinion on my father's second heart attack and stent placement.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 20, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2023

My father is 62 years old and he had a second heart attack recently. The first one was before seven years and a stent is placed. Now again a stent is placed in the left circumflex artery. His recent ECHO report shows diastolic dysfunction of grade 1, with mild mitral regurgitation and tricuspid regurgitation. There is a left ventricular akinetic apex and the ejection fraction is 35 percent. The rest of the parameters are normal. He is taking Lowplat, Dispirin, Antihypertensive, and Rosuvastatin. I need a second opinion and please suggest.

#

I feel sorry to hear about your father's health condition. When a person gets a heart attack, then it is necessary to follow a lifestyle modification, and medications are needed to be taken. He should eat a healthy diet like a Mediterranean diet. It is low in cholesterol, low in fat dairy products, and high in plant-based proteins, fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, and pulses. He should lead an active lifestyle. He must take medicine regularly. He should take a maximum tolerated dose of medicines to prevent further deterioration in the functions of the heart. He should do repeated echocardiography for three months after angioplasty and there is a need to adjust medicines. Vaccination should be given against the influenza virus and pneumonia vaccine has to be given every five years. If he has diabetes, then it should be controlled. There are many new medicines currently available and they show best results for diabetes and heart diseases.

|