Q. My dad felt lightheaded with loose stools and sweating. Is that heart attack or food poisoning?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My dad's age is 59. He is a diabetic patient. He suddenly got a severe stomach ache and passed loose stools. He also sweated more and felt lightheaded. I feel that he is abnormal. He refuses to go the hospital and he believes that if there is a pain in the chest, then it is a heart attack. Is this a symptom of heart attack or food poison? If it is a symptom of heart attack, then what is the immediate remedy that can be done at home before we go to the hospital? Can we use Ecosprin?

#

I have noted all your father's details.

• Cardiac origin of pain usually radiates to the epigastric region only and full abdomen is not included. The loose stools shift the diagnosis towards gastroenteritis.
  • I suggest tablet Norflox TZ (Norfloxacin and Tinidazole) twice daily, capsule Racecadotril 100 mg thrice daily along with an antispasmodic like Spasmonil (Dicyclomine and Dimethicone) twice daily.
  • An ECG should be taken to rule out a cardiac involvement. At home, give him sugar solution with some salt in it and take him to ER (emergency room).

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|