Q. Please review my dad's report and let me know if hiccups and burping are to be worried.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My dad recently was admitted to hospital after a heart attack, and he was in the hospital for almost a week. Currently, he was discharged and taking rest at home. The doctor advised that his heart pumping rate is around 23% and require improvement. Since morning he has been having hiccups, and he is burping a lot. I would like your help to review the results and also let me know if hiccups and burping are to be worried. Please suggest anything that needs to be done from our end. I appreciate your response.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I saw your dad's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

He has severe heart failure due to supposedly decreased blood supply to the heart (ischemic left ventricular dysfunction).

The cause of hiccups and burping could be due to gastritis induced by Clopidogrel or Aspirin.

It could also be caused the by ischemic inferior wall that is the portion of the heart, which is adjoining the diaphragm, incessant contraction of which may cause hiccups or due to the accumulation of fluid in the lungs (subpleural effusion) which could also irritate the diaphragm.

I suggest you take an ECG and chest x-ray to rule out these conditions.

1. Inferior wall ischemia.
2. Subpleural effusion.
3. Renal failure.

Renal function tests, ECG and chest x-ray.

1. Ischemic LV dysfunction.
2. Intractable hiccups.

Rule out cardiac cause of hiccups (with the above tests) as well as renal disturbance. I suggest you tablet Metoclopramide or tablet Baclofen 10 mg twice daily for hiccups, preferably after seeing a physician.

For further information consult a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|