Q. Please review my dad's report and let me know if hiccups and burping are to be worried.

Dr. Vivek Pillai
Published on Feb 10, 2017

My dad recently was admitted to hospital after a heart attack, and he was in the hospital for almost a week. Currently, he was discharged and taking rest at home. The doctor advised that his heart pumping rate is around 23% and require improvement. Since morning he has been having hiccups, and he is burping a lot. I would like your help to review the results and also let me know if hiccups and burping are to be worried. Please suggest anything that needs to be done from our end. I appreciate your response.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I saw your dad's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

He has severe heart failure due to supposedly decreased blood supply to the heart (ischemic left ventricular dysfunction).

The cause of hiccups and burping could be due to gastritis induced by Clopidogrel or Aspirin.

It could also be caused the by ischemic inferior wall that is the portion of the heart, which is adjoining the diaphragm, incessant contraction of which may cause hiccups or due to the accumulation of fluid in the lungs (subpleural effusion) which could also irritate the diaphragm.

I suggest you take an ECG and chest x-ray to rule out these conditions.

1. Inferior wall ischemia.
2. Subpleural effusion.
3. Renal failure.

Renal function tests, ECG and chest x-ray.

1. Ischemic LV dysfunction.
2. Intractable hiccups.

Rule out cardiac cause of hiccups (with the above tests) as well as renal disturbance. I suggest you tablet Metoclopramide or tablet Baclofen 10 mg twice daily for hiccups, preferably after seeing a physician.

For further information consult a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I have pain in my back, abdomen, and testicles. Do I have some major problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 years old male, and I have pain in my back, the right side of the abdomen, and testicles. My hair is falling rapidly, and I have developed gastritis. My eGFR value is 69, serum creatinine is 1.3, chloride is 106.9, bilirubin total is 1.81, bilirubin direct is 0.52, bilirubin ind...  Read Full »

Kindly give your thoughts about pleural effusion with a mass in my lung.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full »