Q. Why am I having frequent chest pains and shortness of breath?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2021

I am an 18 year old male, and I am overweight. I have been having sharp upper right chest pains, that are very frequent. I did not have them before, but I started getting them recently. At first, I was having shortness of breath, and it felt as if someone was standing on my chest. But now, I have bad sharp pains at night. They come and go intermittently. My doctor prescribed Baclofen and Omeprazole.

#

Your chest pain is a result of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Cardiac chest pain increases during respiration and comes with other symptoms like palpitations, etc.

Omeprazole and Baclofen that your physician prescribed should reduce the symptoms you are experiencing. I will advise you continue with both medications for a week.

If after a week it still persists, report to your physician in case he or she has to adjust the dosage or change the medication.

I am a bit worried about your weight, you risk having a major cardiovascular event if you do not start losing weight immediately. Please see a dietician or weight loss expert to help create a diet plan to help you lose weight.

I will also advise you check your blood pressure, blood sugar level, and lipid profile and revert, to make sure it is within normal range.

I wish you a quick recovery.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|