Q. There is swelling of arms and feet in a heart failure patient. Please help.

Dr. Senduran N

I am a 41-year-old, who is obese. I have high blood pressure. Also heart failure. I am also having problems with water building up inside my body, I do use medication but it feels like I am swollen and that the water is pushing upwards. I am also struggling to get air at times and I do not have any energy.

#

The problems you are facing is due to heart's failure to maintain the normal circulation. So the fluid gets stagnated in the interstitial tissue causing swollen feet, arms and fluid in lungs causing breathing problems. I hope you are already following the prescription of a cardiologist. I would like to know a few more information to help you better. May I know the medicines list you are on at present? And can you upload the reports?

Some important strategies are to be followed:

1. Improve the heart function ---to decrease load on heart by ACE inhibitors like Ramipril, ARB's like Telmisartan, diuretics like Lasix and beta blockers at optimized dose).

2. Fluid and salt restriction (salt maximum 3 grams /day and consume fluids 1.5 to 2 liter/day maximum).

3. Mild exercise training are also believed to improve exercise capacity and the quality of life in heart failure patients.

4. Diet and life-style modifications (smoking cessation, weight reduction, limit alcohol and avoid smoking, treat if lipid levels are high, control sugar levels, etc.).

With this limited information,I think,you might be needing an increased dose of a water pill loop diuretic (Lasix) to drain out the accumulating flluid regularly. I would advise you to discuss this with your treating doctor to alter therapy regimen, if necessary.

| 

My cardiologist informed me that I have diastolic heart failure. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male with 5'11" height and weight 214 pounds. Multiple sclerosis and bipolar disorder are co-morbid conditions. I was recently admitted for a heart catheterization to check for any potential blockage after an abnormal ECG, chest and chin pain, months of breathlessne...  Read Full »

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

What causes painless swelling in the feet?

Query: Hi doctor, A couple of months ago, my mother had fever. She had medicines, which was prescribed by her doctor. After three days of fever, she developed rashes and was hospitalized. Then, her rashes started disappearing, but she has some burning sensation on the soles of her feet. Right now, she has ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now