Q. What can I do for swollen feet and ankles during pregnancy?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 22, 2019

I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little elevation.

In your case, we must rule out the possibility of cellulitis. Its is a condition such as how you described, swollen feet or ankle, usually pinkish or erythematous and tender to touch, sometimes warm to touch. Your symptoms are not the usual finding on a pregnant woman and must be seen immediately at the emergency room to give you first aid of a possibility of infection. It is also best that you have your blood pressure taken since the pregnant patient with edema usually has elevated blood pressure.

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article