Q. What can I do for swollen feet and ankles during pregnancy?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.

#

A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little elevation.

In your case, we must rule out the possibility of cellulitis. Its is a condition such as how you described, swollen feet or ankle, usually pinkish or erythematous and tender to touch, sometimes warm to touch. Your symptoms are not the usual finding on a pregnant woman and must be seen immediately at the emergency room to give you first aid of a possibility of infection. It is also best that you have your blood pressure taken since the pregnant patient with edema usually has elevated blood pressure.

|