Q. Why is my mom feeling so weak and has trouble breathing?

Dr. Ahmed Goha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

My mother is 45 years old. She is having trouble breathing. Every move exhausts her. She is weak and needs assistance while walking. She always sits in front of a fan or air-conditioner every day while having trouble breathing. It is episodic and she gets attacks while she feels tired. It takes days to get recovered. Previously, she had heart disease but I am not sure about it.

#

I understand your concern. Your mother is having dyspnea. Due to it, heart failure occurs. It is the inability of the heart to pump a sufficient amount of blood needed for the body. This can also occur due to previous heart problems which can be either rheumatic valvular heart disease or congenital heart disease or coronary artery disease or some sort of cardiomyopathy.

Your mother needs to do an ECG (electrocardiogram), echocardiography, CBC (complete blood count), thyroid function test, renal and liver function test.

Your mother seems to have congestive heart failure.

She needs to take diuretics, ACEI (angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor) or ARB (angiotensin II receptor blocker), and aldosterone antagonist.

She needs to take a low salt diet.

Have a follow-up after getting the results. Kindly send me the list of medications taken by her to guide further.

|