Q. Why is my mom feeling so weak and has trouble breathing?

Dr. Ahmed Goha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

My mom is 45 years old. She's having trouble breathing. Every move exhausts her very much. She is very weak and needs assistance when walking. She needs to be in front of a fan or aircondition all day or else she'd have trouble breathing. It's episodic and usually she have attacks when she's really tired. It can take her days to recover. She mentioned before that she has heart disease but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Please help.

Dr. Ahmed Goha

Cardiology
#

hi there i understand your concern likely your mother dyspnea is due to what is called heart failure whoch is the inability of the heart to pump sufficent amount of blood to meet body needs and this may be due to her previous heart problem whoch can be either rheumatic valvilar heart disease or congintal heart disease or coronary artery disease or some sort of cardiomyopathy

echocardiography is important for proper diagnosis of heart disease
ECG
laboratory test for associated or precepitating factors
CBC thyroid function test renal and liver function tests

congistive heart failure

anti failure treatment diuretic ACEI/ARB Beta blocker and aldosterone antagonist

low salt diet
watch fluid input and output avoid poitive balance

reconsult after doing the echocardiogram and ECG and lab tests
please send me her list of medication and I will readjust her treatment

|