Q. I had a heart surgery. Can I give a deep kiss to my partner?

Dr. Raveendran S. R

I am an 80-year-old man who has had heart surgery, replaced the valve, and repaired the aortic aneurysm. But now I am doing well health wise. I had heart surgery four years back for valve replacement and aortic root repair. Can I take a deep kiss while getting involved in sexual relations? Will it affect my heart? I am currently taking tablets Warfarin, Digoxin, Amlodipine, and Atorvastatin. Please advise.

#

I can understand your concern. Yes, you can kiss, and if your blood pressure is normal, you can even have soft sex. I hope this helps.

What is soft sex? I have been having regular sex since a few months after surgery. Please advise.

#

Soft sex is nothing but taking things slow. Lot of foreplay without penetration sex. Your sex can involve penetration but make sure you lubricate well. You can take your regular medication. I hope this helps.

Will bacteria from my partner's mouth enter to my body while giving a kiss? Please help.

#

You can wash your mouth with a simple mouth wash or Betadine gargle (povidone iodine) after your kiss. You can insist your partner use mouthwash before sex and proceed. Infection from the mouth will not reach the heart that quickly. It needs to stay for long in the throat to cause throat infection, and then only it can enter the blood to reach the heart. So it is a long process. Hence no need to worry.

|