Q. Why does my heart rate suddenly rise in the mornings?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 27-year-old male with a weight of 113 kilograms and a height of six feet four inches. When I wake up in the morning and stand up, I have a sudden rise in heart rate up to 120 beats per minute. Sometimes it becomes high up to 140 beats per minute. I do not have a rise in heart rate throughout the day. But in the morning, it gets raised up to 30 to 40 beats per minute from my normal heart rate. I noticing this for the last two weeks and so I am drinking plenty of water and Gatorade. I have other symptoms such as loss of appetite and diarrhea. There are no signs of atrial fibrillation seen in ECG and my heart rate becomes high when I stand up.

#

It is perfectly normal to have fluctuation in heart rate between the activities. Heart rate gets increased during the physical activity and it can become high up to 300 beats per minute and it depends on the type of activity you get engaged. You need to do a thyroid function test. Hyperthyroidism presents with similar symptoms. Please mention whether you have lost weight recently and whether you have sweating often. Please mention whether you have any growth in your neck region.

|