Q. I have heartburn, bloating and fullness. Will this get better with treatment?

Dr. Noushif M

I have been diagnosed with gastritis yesterday and have been suffering from heartburn, bloating and fullness for three months now. What I do not understand is, if gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining, why is my LES relaxing and causing heartburn to a point where my throat swells up every day? Is the stomach not able to send proper signals to close the LES? Or is the high pressure in the stomach causing LES to relax? Either way, will LES return to normal functioning after the gastritis treatment?

#

• You may be having gastritis with associated reflux. The symptoms worsen with foods that worsen acidity, most of them can relax the lower esopahgeal sphincter.
  • This sphincter is a functional sphincter and its action is affected by a lot of factors including abdominal and chest pressure.
  • The reflux symptoms can improve after dietary modifications and medications.
  • I suggest you take Omeprazole for two weeks.
  • Have short frequent feeds rather than stomach full feeds.
  • Have your dinner at least an hour before going to bed.
  • Please review with your endoscopy report after two weeks so that I can guide you further.

Good luck.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|