Q. I have heart burn and a small bubble like growth in the throat. What could it be?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have a small bubble-like growth in the back of the throat near tonsils. It flares up with irritation during coughing, grunting, and when I do exercise in the early morning. I snore at the night time, and I have heartburn. I consulted a doctor, and I was prescribed with Prilosec. Please help.

#

Please send a picture of your throat.

I am attaching my picture.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is just a soft tissue inflammation. You can control your heartburn by taking anti-acids such as protons pump inhibitors (Pantoprazole, and Prilosec) once daily before breakfast. Use anti-inflammatory drug such as Brufen 200 (Ibuprofen) tablet once daily. Mouth gargling is helpful. You can use it several times. Avoid eating spicy and icy foods. Warm drinks are useful.

You need to be worried when the mass grows in spite of treatment. You do not need to be concerned when the mass is not smooth, bloody, necrotic, irregular and accompanied by neck stony hard painless lymph nodes. Your mass is a simple inflammation. I am giving you additional information. So, you do not need to be worried.

How long will it take to subside?

#

It takes a maximum of two weeks. Even if there is any small mass after recovery, you do not worry.

Can consuming large amounts of carbonated or fizzy drinks cause these type of irritation?

#

Yes, these drinks change the pH (potential of hydrogen) of the gastrointestinal tract especially stomach and esophagus. It is reflected as inflammation, burning in the throat and even as gastroesophageal regurge.

Does the inflammation appear to be related with acid reflux?

#

Yes, I advise you take proton pump inhibitor such as Pantoloc 40 mg (Pantoprazole) or Omeprazole once daily before breakfast. Avoid eating spicy and icy foods. Avoid eating it at bedtime.

|