Q. I often have heartburn. What can I do?

Dr. Surbhi Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I am suffering from heartburn, chest pain, nausea, and breathlessness. I got done 2D echo, ECG, vitamins D levels, endoscopy, and blood tests. All the reports are normal.

#

There are several things you can do to prevent an episode of heartburn like:

• Avoid alcohol. Normally alcohol in moderation is well tolerated by many, but for people prone to acidity, even a small amount of alcohol can cause discomfort.
  • Avoid smoking. The nicotine in tobacco affects the opening and closing of the food pipe, allowing back flow of the stomach acid into the food pipe.
  • Eat small meals. Instead of three big meals, have five small meals every 3 to 4 hours, and eat slowly.
  • Do not sleep on a full stomach. Try to have an early dinner. Make sure there is a gap of three hours between your last meal and bed time.
  • Wear loose-fitting clothes.
  • Avoid certain known foods which cause acidity like, coffee, tea, cola, citrus fruits, oily and spicy food.
  • If your weight is high, losing a few kilos will reduce acidity too.
  • Have a gap of two hours between exercise and meals.
  • Drink at least three liters of water every day.
  • Try meditation and yoga to minimize daily stress.
  • I suggets you take tablet Rekool D once daily at 8 am.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult an internal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|