Q. I feel heaviness in my head while bending and lifting my head up. Why?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

I am having heaviness in my head since yesterday afternoon, especially when I bend and lift my head up. Also, I am experiencing the same heaviness while coughing too. I took Paracetamol 500 mg once yesterday evening and today afternoon, but I did not find any change in pain. Also, for the past three days I am having slight constipation.

I am taking medication for thyroid (Eltroxin 75 mg). Also, I use glasses for short sight and presently the lens has got scratches with vision not 100% clear. I had checked my BP in the morning and found it to be 117/62.

#

I would like to confirm a few more, before arriving to a probable diagnosis. Site of pain, front, back, whole, or half side of your head or vague? Episodic or stays the entire day? Any facial pain? Apply pressure on the face, on either side of your nose, on your temple, and see whether those areas are tender. Do you have body pain, fatigue, sleepiness, dullness, menstrual irregularities, fever, sleeplessness, nausea, vomitings, neck pain, blurring of vision, double vision, past history of similar headache, or excessive working on laptop or TV?

For now, take tablet Naproxen 500 mg with food as and when required. Plenty of oral fluids. High fiber diet, greens, syrup. Duphalac 15 cc to be taken with two glasses of water preferably at bedtime.

Get back to me with the answers to the above set of queries.

Well, the site of pain is kind of vague. It is like when I woke up today morning I felt the pain on my whole head, while bending forward I feel the pain is towards the back of my head and while bending backward I feel the pain towards the front of my head.

The pain is episodic and I do not have any facial pain. I could not make out any tenderness on my temple areas and sides of the nose. I do not have body pain, slightly fatigued, no sleepiness, no dullness. I do have menstrual irregularities, no fever, no sleeplessness, no nausea, no vomiting, no neck pain, no blurring of vision, or double vision. No past history of headache, no excessive working on TV/laptop.

I found it difficult to get up from bed today with the heaviness still on my head and also a feeling like catching a cold. I am finding it difficult to keep my glasses on for more time.

#

I have gone through the detailed list of symptoms addressed. It looks more like early URTI / ocular strain due to refractory error.

Take Dolo 650 as and when required, Carvall plus (green oil capsules), cut them and pour the oil into a mug of hot water and do steam inhalation preferably thrice a day. Do not overdo. Tablet Naproxen for severe pain. Follow proper sleep hygiene as well as a good sleep routine.

Do contact me in case you develop fever, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath even if mild. Follow home quarantine for next week at least. Get your vision tested again at the earliest. Get your thyroid profile done if it is not repeated for the last three months.

|