Q. From my wife's reports, please advise the next course of action.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

This is regarding my wife, who is 34 years old. She has a gynecological problem of heavy menstrual bleeding, which will last for 7 to 8 days. She has this issue for quite some time. Though we have consulted our doctor, nothing could be concluded. She even used to take Pause 500. But, this time the problem was alarming, and so her doctor advised some tests. I have taken snaps of the reports which I have attached here. Please check the reports and share your feedback with us. Also, please let us know the next course of action. Please note that we have one child aged 5 years and my wife never had any other physical issue before.

#

• I have gone through the history and details that suggest excessive bleeding or menorrhagia and frequent bleeding or polymenorrhea (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Yes, frequent and excessive bleeding will lead to loss of blood, depletion of stores and finally into anemia. It has a great impact on the quality of life. Hence, it needs to be evaluated and treated accordingly.
  • The ultrasound shows an evidence of polycystic ovaries. Her uterus is perfectly fine or she does not have any masses or fibroids. Also, her coagulation profile is absolutely perfect.
  • Does she gain weight recently or any history of hypothyroidism or hirsutism (mustache)? What is her BMI?

Revert with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

There is no recent gain in weight. She has no history of hypothyroidism or mustache. Her BMI is 28.3. We have one question regarding sonography report. It is mentioned as the liver is enlarged, showing heterogeneous parenchymal echo pattern. I am attaching the report. Please share your feedback on this. Thank you.

#

• I have considered that too. Ultrasound shows mild hepatomegaly that is liver enlargement with heterogeneous echogenicity. In most of the cases, it is due to fatty liver.
  • It is known as a non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). But again, her liver function tests and lipid profile are fine. Even her sugar is within normal limits.
  • But, her BMI and triglycerides are above normal limits. Sometimes, NAFLD and PCOD coexist.
  • On the whole, there is no immediate concern. Your wife needs to concentrate on weight loss and eat healthy low-calorie and low-fat food and good work out. Everything would fall into place then.
  • Repeat her FBS (fasting blood sugar), LFTs (liver function tests) and ultrasound abdomen after 10 to 12 weeks.

Revert with the reports to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|