Q. From my wife's reports, please advise the next course of action.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Mar 01, 2017

This is regarding my wife, who is 34 years old. She has a gynecological problem of heavy menstrual bleeding, which will last for 7 to 8 days. She has this issue for quite some time. Though we have consulted our doctor, nothing could be concluded. She even used to take Pause 500. But, this time the problem was alarming, and so her doctor advised some tests. I have taken snaps of the reports which I have attached here. Please check the reports and share your feedback with us. Also, please let us know the next course of action. Please note that we have one child aged 5 years and my wife never had any other physical issue before.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• I have gone through the history and details that suggest excessive bleeding or menorrhagia and frequent bleeding or polymenorrhea (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Yes, frequent and excessive bleeding will lead to loss of blood, depletion of stores and finally into anemia. It has a great impact on the quality of life. Hence, it needs to be evaluated and treated accordingly.
  • The ultrasound shows an evidence of polycystic ovaries. Her uterus is perfectly fine or she does not have any masses or fibroids. Also, her coagulation profile is absolutely perfect.
  • Does she gain weight recently or any history of hypothyroidism or hirsutism (mustache)? What is her BMI?

Revert with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

There is no recent gain in weight. She has no history of hypothyroidism or mustache. Her BMI is 28.3. We have one question regarding sonography report. It is mentioned as the liver is enlarged, showing heterogeneous parenchymal echo pattern. I am attaching the report. Please share your feedback on this. Thank you.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• I have considered that too. Ultrasound shows mild hepatomegaly that is liver enlargement with heterogeneous echogenicity. In most of the cases, it is due to fatty liver.
  • It is known as a non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). But again, her liver function tests and lipid profile are fine. Even her sugar is within normal limits.
  • But, her BMI and triglycerides are above normal limits. Sometimes, NAFLD and PCOD coexist.
  • On the whole, there is no immediate concern. Your wife needs to concentrate on weight loss and eat healthy low-calorie and low-fat food and good work out. Everything would fall into place then.
  • Repeat her FBS (fasting blood sugar), LFTs (liver function tests) and ultrasound abdomen after 10 to 12 weeks.

Revert with the reports to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

How long should Kazharchi Kaai powder be taken for PCOD?

Query: Hello doctor,As I have PCOD problem and also cyst, I take tablets for period. My friend suggested Kalachikai powder. I used it for 30 days continuously, but no use. How many days should I take that powder and how to overcome this problem?  Read Full »

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »