Q. My first x-ray shows bone plates fusion. Is second x-ray mandatory for confirmation?

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

I was wondering whether you think it would be worth it for me getting a second x-ray to confirm if my growth plates have fused? The first one shows no visible plate.

#

I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. To tell you the exact answer we need your age and from your question, I suggest you take an x-ray but not now, wait for some time and then have an x-ray done.

I am a 19-year-old male. I have already done an x-ray done to see if my plates have fused. It showed that they have fused as there were no visible plates. My question was would it be worth me getting a second x-ray? What would be the chances of the second x-ray having a different result?

#

I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. Thank you for coming up with more details. There will be no change if you get another x-ray as the plates get fused already. You can only go for another one if you have some doubts about the fusion and the previous x-ray reports. I am copying some information which may help you to know about the fusion of plates.

We can give you the ossification of a few of the important bones. It is difficult to write about primary, secondary and the total ossification of all the bones.

Femur: The three epiphysis, growth plates at the upper-end fuse at 18years. The one epiphysis, the growth plate at the lower end fuse at 20 years.

Tibia: Upper end fuses at 16-18 years. Lower end fuses at 15-17 years.

Humerus: Upper end during the 20th year. Lower end at about 16 years.

Radius: Upper end during the 18th year. Lower end at 20 years.

| 

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now