Closed Epiphyses

Is it necessary to take second x-ray to confirm first x-ray findings regarding growth plate fusion?

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering whether you think it would be worth it for me getting a second x-ray to confirm if my growth plates have fused? The first one shows no visible plate.  Read Full »

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. To tell you the exact answer we need your age and from your question, I suggest you take an x-ray but not now, wait for some time and then have an x-ray done.  Read Full »

Is it possible for the knees and shoulder plates to be open, once the hip and ankle growth plates have closed?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible for the knees and shoulder or spine growth plates to be open, once the hip and ankle growth plates have closed?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends upon the age. Because on an average if the hip and ankle growth plates have fused then the knees, shoulder, and spine follow it and close in the next six months of the onset of fusion of the hip and ankle growth plates.  Read Full »