How to confirm H. pylori infection?

Q. How to confirm H. pylori infection?

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2023

Two months ago, I had diarrhea and vomiting. My gastroenterologist diagnosed it as GERD and found H.pylori unit 112 tested through blood. My LFT, CBC, and RBC were fine, with occasional white cells in my urine and uric acid was 6. I took Klaricid 500, Ospamox 1 g, Levopraid, Omeprazole, and Librax. After taking antibiotics, I got a burning sensation in my stomach and a feeling of gas on the side of my right kidney. But my kidney reports are fine. When I showed my reports to another doctor, he said there was nothing to worry about H.pylori. He relates everything to anxiety. Also another important issue is that I am getting a feeling of twitching and cramps all over my body. When I put my head on the pillow, my muscles start paining. When I wake up, I have heavy body pain and watering eyes. I took a physiotherapy session. She prescribed me Tizanidine and Neurobion. But, they did not work. My physiotherapist asked me to consult a hematologist. But my CBC and RBC reports are normal. What to do now? Please suggest.

#

Yes, all laboratory reports and ultrasound abdomen reports are normal except for the Helicobacter pylori antibody (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You were told to have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) based on the H.pylori test, but this test might be false positive also. To confirm this infection in the stomach, an upper GI endoscopy is the best.

You had symptoms of diarrhea and muscle pain on the right side of the abdomen. These are not consistent with the diagnosis of GERD. Burning pain, decreased appetite and nausea are the common symptoms of GERD.

If we look only at your history and symptoms, then you might have irritable bowel syndrome, which is associated with loose stool, increased frequency of stool, indigestion and increased bowel movement (gargling sound after food intake).

This is not a serious condition but still requires some investigations to rule out other conditions that mimic irritable bowel syndrome.

Upper GI endoscopy for H.pylori and colonoscopy for irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome.

First do an upper GI endoscopy. If there is H.pylori infection or gastritis, then take treatment for 15 to 20 days. If this test comes negative, then proceed for colonoscopy to rule out irritable bowel syndrome. You may go for a CT scan abdomen before doing colonoscopy.

1. Avoid spicy and oily food for gastritis.

2. Take gluten-free, starch-free and fat-free food for irritable bowel syndrome.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|