Q. How to confirm H. pylori infection?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Two months ago, I had diarrhea and vomiting. My gastroenterologist diagnosed it as GERD and found H.pylori unit 112 tested through blood. My LFT, CBC, RBC were fine with occasional white cells in my urine and uric acid was 6. I took Klaricid 500, Ospamox 1 g, Levopraid, Omeprazole and Librax. After taking antibiotics, I got a burning sensation in my stomach and a feel of gas on the side of right kidney. But, my kidney reports are fine. When I showed my reports to another doctor, he said there is nothing to worry about H.pylori. He relates everything to anxiety. Also, another important issue is that I am getting a feeling of twitching and cramps all over my body. When I put my head on the pillow, my muscles start paining. When I wake up, I have heavy body pain and watering eyes. I took a physiotherapy session. She prescribed me Tizanidine and Neurobion. But, they did not work. My physiotherapist asked me to consult a hematologist. But, my CBC and RBC reports are normal. What to do now? Please suggest.

#

• Yes, all laboratory reports and ultrasound abdomen reports are normal except for Helicobacter pylori antibody (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • You were told to have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) based on H.pylori test, but this test might be false positive also. To confirm this infection in the stomach, an upper GI endoscopy is the best.
  • You had symptoms of diarrhea and muscle pain on the right side of the abdomen. These are not consistent with the diagnosis of GERD. Burning pain, decreased appetite and nausea are the common symptoms of GERD.
  • If we look only at your history and symptoms, then you might have irritable bowel syndrome, which associated with loose stool, increased frequency of stool, indigestion and increased bowel movement (gargling sound after food intake).
  • This is not a serious condition, but still requires some investigations to rule out other conditions that mimic irritable bowel syndrome.

Upper GI endoscopy for H.pylori and colonoscopy for irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome.

First do an upper GI endoscopy. If there is H.pylori infection or gastritis, then take treatment for 15 to 20 days. If this test comes negative, then proceed for colonoscopy to rule out irritable bowel syndrome. You may go for a CT scan abdomen before doing colonoscopy.

1. Avoid spicy and oily food for gastritis.
2. Take gluten-free, starch-free and fat-free food for irritable bowel syndrome.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|